top of page

Tax Time: What can you claim as a performing artist?

It’s coming up to tax time! It pays to learn what work-related expenses you can claim from your income in burlesque.

As it's likely that you have at least one other income stream in addition to burlesque, we recommend always checking in with a certified accountant before lodging your return. The below details only pertain to your burlesque income.

Do you know what you can and can’t claim during tax time? Check out the ATO’s work-related expenses guide for performing artists to assist when it comes to preparing your tax return.

When completing your tax return, you may be able to claim deductions for some work-related expenses.

To claim a work-related deduction:

  • you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed

  • it must directly relate to earning your income

  • you must have a record to prove it.

If the expense was for both work and private purposes, you can only claim a deduction for the work-related portion. Common deductions for performing artists can include:

Remember to report all income in your tax return and remove any portion of your expense that is not work-related.

For more information, or to download the guides available for specific occupations, visit


Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Instagram - White Circle
bottom of page